Sunday, June 1, 2008

So far away from you...

I have left my previous job & joined a consultancy company in Singapore. It was a fight to get the job and the profile but it turned out all good at the end. Sometimes I surprise myself by my never-let-go stubborn attitude. Anyways, leaving my job was a piece of cake which I was longing to eat, but leaving India, it turned out, was not. I am a thorough desi at heart... so mohtarma thodi dikkat mein padh gayeen singaapur aakar. I never knew I was going to miss the people back there in India so much. The night when I was to travel to Delhi with my family, my mom did a kind of a ritual that she really believes in. She says it drives away all bad spirits & ensures safety of the family. So as directed by mom, the four of us (including her) stood close to each other while she performed the ritual. That moment I thought about the unbreakable bond of family. I am not quite sure if I believe in mom's rituals & the safety net they provide but one thing I know is that family is the biggest gift to us. It is a relationship that never corrodes, never changes colors, never needs refueling. We seek friendships & intimacies outside but forget that we have such a wonderful family too. I don't mean to undermine the importance of friendships & other relationships, but I just feel that if I have a good family that loves me, I have the loveliest thing already... Miss you mom, dad, bro... Love you loads...
The first few days in Singapore you see, I knew I am gonna miss them terribly in the beginning... I almost fought with a friend today on family values & on the topic of staying with them or away for sake of career & he concluded that I was missing my family... well, right he was! But true to my spirit & reason, I was advocating staying away from them for the sake of career (if required) or rather doing a balancing act. My dad always tells me, "Beta, you should always work where your work is valued".. how could I disappoint him :)

1 comment:

Vinod Kumar said...

"My dad always tells me, "Beta, you should always work where your work is valued".. how could I disappoint him :) "

These lines are really touching and inspiring too.